Trump made the remarks during his two-day visit to China. It was his first trip to Beijing since 2017.
The visit was expected to focus on several issues, including trade, the Iran conflict, and discussions surrounding Taiwan, a territory the United States frequently supports as self-governing while China insists it is one of its provinces.
During talks between the two leaders, Trump adopted a notably softer tone compared to his usual exchanges with other world leaders.
He said he has a good relationship with Xi Jinping and described him as an exceptional leader, despite criticism from some people whenever he says so.
U.S. officials also asked China to pressure Iran into accepting a ceasefire agreement and reopening the Strait of Hormuz, whose instability has continued to disrupt the global economy through rising oil prices.
Trump told Fox News, “The President of China told me they will not provide military equipment to Iran.”
The U.S. president also said China wants the Strait of Hormuz reopened because it imports large amounts of oil from the Middle East.
“He said they buy a lot of oil from there. Of course, they will continue doing so,” Trump added.
These remarks were echoed by U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who told NBC News that “China does not support the use of military force in the Strait of Hormuz.”
Rubio also said China opposes Iran charging “peace fees” or imposing restrictions on ships passing through the strategic waterway, through which nearly 20% of the world’s oil supply passes.
U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent also supported those statements, telling CNBC that China had agreed to help efforts aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Iranian media reported on May 14, 2026, that Chinese vessels had been allowed to use the route.
The move aligns with Iran’s policy of allowing ships from friendly countries to pass while restricting vessels linked to the United States and Israel.
The United States still blocks Iranian vessels from entering or leaving its ports. U.S. forces operating in the Middle East recently announced that they had intercepted 72 vessels and destroyed four others since April 13, 2026.


